Friday, September 4, 2009

My pregnancy with Aimee

I was 22 and we had just moved to La Grande. I didn't have a job for the 1st month I was here and used all that down time to get seriously baby crazy! I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)and had been on birth control since I was 15 to regulate my cycles and control some of the symptoms. I was also taking Metformin to help my pre-diabetes. My doctor had told me that I would probably get pregnant right away if I stopped taking the pill. I was a little bit skeptical, as were some of my family members, that I would be able to conceive because of the PCOS.

We decided that I would go off the pill and we would start trying to get pregnant in April, around our first anniversary. I wanted a spring baby and figured it would take months of trying. So we weren't very careful not to get pregnant. Although I was buying dollar tree pregnancy tests and using them regularly just to be sure. Since I don't have regular cycles I couldn't judge it that way.

Joe had some friends visiting for the weekend in mid April. I had been having some cramping and nausea but didn't think anything of it because I often don't feel well. We went out for lunch and I almost ordered a margarita but realized that I probably shouldn't be drinking if we were going to start trying. The next day we all went driving out in the country, I got stuck in the back seat and the guys all bought pepperoni sticks for the trip. They were all passing the worst smelling gas the whole time too. So all in all I was quite carsick to say the least. Later that day the guys went home.

My friend Jenni and I had decided to start trying at the same time and joked about how neat it would be to be pregnant together. That afternoon she sent me a text saying she was pregnant! I told her I would just have to live vicariously through her because I didn't think it would happen anytime soon for me. After that I decided to use my last pregnancy test just for the heck of it. I still figured there would be no chance it would be positive so I set it on the counter and left. I happened to go back into the bathroom to get something a few minutes later and just glanced at the test. To my surprise there was a faint line there.

I was so excited, ran out and showed Joe the test. He figured it had to be wrong. I was just shocked, but I knew it was right. I called my Mom right away, she had the same reaction as Joe. So I went to the store and bought a pack of digital tests. When it came out positive everyone finally believed me and were all excited.

I didn't have my first doctor appointment Until I was 11 weeks. We got to see our little raisin on the ultrasound and figured that my due date was December 21st. It looked like she was doing crawl stroke in there. We thought that was pretty funny.

From that point on everything went really well. I had to do 3 glucose tests because of the pre-diabetes. Surprisingly they all came out fine. I originally wanted to have a midwife deliver me,but assumed that I would have a high risk pregnancy because of all my medical problems. It turns out that this town doesn't have any good midwifes anyway (they are all crazy!). I really didn't have any problems my whole pregnancy so there isn't much to say about it. I wish I had kept a journal or something but I'll have to just do that next time.  

I started feeling little flutters of movement at about 15 weeks, only if I was laying on my back though. At about 17 weeks I was sitting at the computer at work and all of a sudden could really feel the baby moving. It was so cool! We had really been hoping for a boy first. I started having dreams it was a girl and a few weeks before my ultrasound I just knew it was. I guess my gut was right! After laying there for an eternity the ultra sound tech. Finally found the girl parts. I was surprised that I wasn't disappointed at all.


The last trimester was really hard for me. I am 5'2" and weighed 190lbs when I got pregnant. At first I craved a ton of fruit and actually lost a little weight. Then the cravings turned into things like oreo's, sheet cake, ice cream, etc. I gave into most of the cravings and didn't do a lot of walking or exercise. By the end of my pregnancy I had gained 60 pounds. I was also retaining a lot of water. It got so it hurt to smile because my face was so swollen. I was working at the animal shelter the whole time and planned to quit in November, a month before my due date. My job included cleaning out dog kennels twice a day and mopping the floors at closing time. I injured my lower back a few years ago and it has been a problem ever since. By the end of the day I could barely stand up or walk to my car after work. One co-worker started doing the evening jobs for me because she felt so bad for me. A few weeks into October my boss asked me if I wanted to quit early. Everyone was worried about me and they could tell I couldn't take much more. I was so grateful and quit that week.

For the last month of my pregnancy I was tired and uncomfortable all the time. I had to pee constantly. I started to think maybe I should just live in the bathroom. I literally could be sitting on the toilet after emptying my bladder and it still felt like I had to pee.

Between my bladder and all the aches and  pains, I couldn't sleep for more than an hour at night. I would lay on my left side with a pillow between my legs and would wake up with my whole side asleep and cramping. If I rolled onto my back in my sleep it was even worse. I guess the lack of sleep is to prepare you for sleepless nights with baby, but I think it would be nice to go into it feeling rested. Oh well, I'm not God so I don't get to decide.